People are living longer than ever, and while regular brushing, flossing, and checkups allow many of us to maintain our natural smiles for a lifetime, sometimes our teeth just can't keep up. If you've lost a tooth (or a few teeth) due to injury or disease, dental implants from Drs. Burau Cosmetic & High Tech Family Dentistry can rejuvenate both your smile and your oral health.
An implant is a synthetic tooth root in the shape of a post that is surgically placed into the jawbone. The “root” is usually made of titanium: the same material used in many replacement hips and knees, and a metal that is well-suited to pairing with human bone. A replacement tooth (crown) is then fixed to the post.
The ideal candidate for implants is a non-smoker who has good oral health, including a sufficient amount of bone in the jaw, and healthy gums with no sign of gum disease.
Single or Multiple Implants
Implants are versatile. If you are only missing one tooth, one implant plus one replacement tooth will do the trick. If you are missing several teeth in a row, a few strategically placed implants placed by Drs. Brad and Scott Burau can support a permanent bridge (a set of replacement teeth). Similarly, if you have lost all of your teeth, a full denture can be permanently fixed in your mouth with a strategic number of implants.
Advantages Over Dentures or Bridges
- The instability of conventional bridges and dentures can make it difficult to eat or smile with confidence.
- Implants not only look more natural, but feel and act more like normal teeth, with a stronger biting force.
- Implants don’t compromise the health of your natural teeth since they don’t rely on neighboring teeth for support.
- Implants will typically last a lifetime if they’re cared for properly, while bridges usually only last ten years.
Consider your replacement teeth to be the same as natural teeth. They require the same daily brushing and flossing, and the same amount of regular checkups. Just like your natural teeth, the better you take care of your replacements, the longer they will last.
Implant services at our Grand Blanc, MI dental office include:
- Implant Site Development: When a tooth needs to be removed due to infection, it is not uncommon to have lost bone around the infected tooth. In these cases, Drs. Brad and Scott Burau can perform various types of bone grafting at the same time the tooth is removed to facilitate the placement of a dental implant at a later date.
- Implant Maintenance: Once your dental implant restoration is completed, it is important to keep the area clean and infection-free. Dental implants can accumulate plaque and tartar just as teeth can. Whether you have just one tooth replaced by an implant or several, professional cleanings at our Grand Blanc dental office will be necessary to keep your implants healthy. The time interval for these professional cleanings will be determined by Drs. Brad and Scott Burau depending on your individual needs.
If you have missing teeth, now is a great time to visit Drs. Burau Cosmetic & High Tech Family Dentistry to learn about your dental implant options. A simple consultation at our Grand Blanc dental office will give you all the information you need to make an informed decision regarding your oral health.